Anchor Resigns On Air Over Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine




Russia Today anchor Liz Wahl resigned on air Wednesday saying that she could no longer be part of a network that "whitewashes the actions of Putin."
"Personally I cannot be part of a network funded by the Russian government that whitewashes the actions of Putin," Wahl, a Washington, D.C.-based correspondent for Russia Today, said. "I'm proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth and that is why after this newscast I'm resigning."
Wahl also referenced her grandparents, who she had tweeted about earlier, during her comments: 



Her resignation comes two days after RT anchor Abby Martin condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine on air.



 Liz Wahl : „Last night RT made international headlines when one of our anchors went on the record and said Russian intervention in Crimea is wrong, and indeed, as a reporter on this network, I face many ethical and moral challenges - especially me personally, coming from a family whose grandparents came here as refugees during the Hungarian revolution - ironically to escape the Soviet forces. I have family on the opposite side - on my mother’s side - that sees the daily grind of poverty, and I’m very lucky to have grown up here in the United States. I’m the daughter of a veteran. My partner is a physician at a military base where he sees everything every day - firsthand accounts of the ultimate prices that people pay for this country. And, that is why personally, I cannot be part of a network funded by the Russian Government that whitewashes the actions of Putin. I’m proud to be an American, and believe in disseminating the truth. That is why, after this news cast, I am resigning.“

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done': Angelina Jolie Opens Up About New Movie Unbroken

Cats And Dogs Who Hate Kisses

Pussy Riot Attacked at McDonald's